Thursday, February 5, 2009

Red like a Rose or Red like a Tomato?


While reading Isabel Allende's Zorro all i could hear in my head was the overture's from Zorro: The Gay Blade. That has ever and always will be (horribly) my favorite incarnation of Zorro...I can't help it, deep in side I have a chain smoking queen in me.
Any who, back to Zorro:

Another I avoided for years, for some reason the dual covers and the color choice just turned me off even though it was written by an award winning author...The second bandaras movie had come out and I was admittedly Zorro'ed out.
So the Fian handed it to me last week and said "just read it" Reluctantly I picked it up with two fingers, sighed, flipped over on my back and started it.

Then almost finished it that night.
(sometimes i don't sleep)

Did I enjoy it? Yes. I think the translation was off (was originally written in spanish) I think in spanish it was a very musical, lyrical novel, in english it was a little florid. Diego is Mestizo along with Bernardo...His mother is a mysterious Native American wise woman...He get sent to Spain, has the unrequitted romances, hangs with Gypsies and eventually runs into Jean Lafitte.

All in all, enjoyable but not earth shattering.

No comments:

Post a Comment