Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane

Huh..umm well.
Ok I can't help it...I HAVE to read.
It's a compulsive disease adn I can't hold out until the 5k starts...
I just...


Can't.

Sigh

Especially when a good read shows up and because of my job they do in a magical and very heart-lightening frequency this time of year.
So suck it Brian, I'm posting another review. I thumb my nose at competitions.

This one showed up today in an envelope with three others...It's rough mat cover immediately got my attention (tactile gal, me..i touch everything) Its was one of those that was made for booksellers like me...Obviously a fully realized piece of "pick me up, read me, make me loved!"

it's a tri-fold , Matthew Pearl entices me with an anecdote of a long past poker game, a novel idea tossed around, a friends history explored and a promise squeezed out.

It's a literary thriller, along the lines of The Labyrinth by Mosse and various others taking parallel plots in two time periods.
There's folk magic involved a bit, the cunning women vs the puritans (Salem, I failed to mention that, oops) modern woman vs doctoral thesis.

And a dog.

Funny thing blogging books, I'm so in the habit of carefully not spoiling books for my customers I refuse to give too much plot away...It's paced well I picked it up around 1pm and finished it out about 8:45pm...I got off work at 4.

When it comes out definitely check it out, it's a nice escape with good research. I actually recognized some of the recipes and folk spells from my Grandmother Irene stories and plain weirdness from my mother's side of the family. (I have some really, REALLY, interesting stories I don't break out until someone knows me well enough to realize i can't lie for shit)

And I KNOW, the 5k hasn't started.
I was bewitched.

No comments:

Post a Comment