Thursday, February 5, 2009

Cheap food


this is not a cannonball post, but what the hell, might as well do other stuff here too.
So a lot of us are poor and lazy and would much rather go to a counter or drive through to manage caloric intake because it's a pain in the ass to cook. My Fian is one of those absolutely, that and I think he lives on air and beer like some arboreal plant. (though I have gotten him to eat Hummus, mmm, Hummus)
I fortunately got myself off the fast food tit for the most part 10 years ago by only allowing it once or twice a month forcing me to get creative and learn to cook. Don't always have the time to do a fancy meal but i can go into anybodies fridge and pantry and come up with something and it often ends up tasting pretty good.

Slobs of the web, your friend is the crock pot.

Get one.

now.

Then go grab this book.

There are cheaper recipe books, ones with fancier pictures, ones that use more canned goods but this one really is one of the most practical titles I've run into.
Crock pots are great, dump the ingredients in, turn it on and forget about it until the smells fill you place.
At 7 bucks or less a serving you can cook three times a week, fridge 2 portions of each meal and freeze one or two more and not have to cook for two weeks after that if you don't really want to.
I tend to use the leftovers to make salads,wraps and sandwiches so I don't get bored with it.

I know there's a time and place for Whataburger, but let's keep it to the time and place and not everyday, hm?

No comments:

Post a Comment